Stormwater in our Community
The details of this lesson can be found in the manual. In addition, there is a suggested route for the walking field trip (with things along the way) in your school-specific teacher guide. Here is a example of a discussion diamond students filled in at the end of this lesson.
- Stormwater Features Guide – This two sided guide includes all the information on the Neighborhood Stormwater Cards below. You could print this instead of the cards for your use during the Walking Field Trip.
- Neighborhood Stormwater Cards – This set of cards has information and questions for features you might find in your neighborhood.
- Group Worksheet – Discussion Diamond (Lesson 6, 9, & 12) – for each group
Which option are you using?
1) WALKING FIELD TRIP (whole class, during school day):
The whole class walks around the neighborhood and fills out a bingo sheet as they search of specific things connected to stormwater. If you haven’t done it before you could request help with facilitating this lesson.
- Walking Field Trip – Stormwater Bingo. We have translations of this document (including Amharic, Arabic, Chinese, Somali, Spanish, Tagalog, Tagrini and Vietnamese).
2) TAKE HOME ASSIGNMENT (Individual, Homework)
Individual students do a “Stormwater Scavenger Hunt” on a walk with an adult around their neighborhood.
- Take Home – Stormwater Scavenger Hunt. We have translations of this document (including Amharic, Arabic, Chinese, Somali, Spanish, Tagalog, Tagrini and Vietnamese).
- Share this video “Neighborhood Scavenger Hunt” with students and families.