Investigating Effects of Stormwater
The details of this lesson can be found in the manual, starting on page 53. Information specific to your school can be found in your guides. There is also a teacher training video showing the leading of a schoolyard investigation.
- Just-in-Time Instruction: Runoff & Groundwater Graphic
- Impervious & Pervious Surfaces Graphic
- Erosion and Soil video
- Just-in-Time Instruction: Plant Roots
- Effects of Plants on Erosion Procedure
- Mapping the Schoolyard Worksheet – Your school-specific worksheet can be found in your school-specific guide.
- Blank Mapping Your Schoolyard Worksheet
- Surface Investigation Data Sheet
Student Readings (choose two):
Additional Optional Resources:
- Video with more detail on how water moves through soil (many big words used): “Water Moving though Soil”.
- Online Runoff Simulation: This online model lets users change the land cover, soil type and amount of precipitation and see how it affects infiltration and runoff. This could be used as an extension for a student that understands the concepts behind groundwater and would like take it a step further.
- “How do potholes form?“ Quick explanation of potholes creation (30 seconds)